Pages

12.12.2011

A Mindful Christmas (and some low-cost gift wrap ideas!)


Christmas is such a wonderful time of year! We all love the nostalgic decorations, music and traditions, parties and dresses, delicious cookies, and time with family and friends. Lately, though, I've had more and more conversations with friends about some unwelcome things that have also become commonplace this time of year: overspending, selfishness, and stress.


With that in mind, this Christmas season I've been trying to be more mindful to resist being drawn in by these sneaky distractions. Let me explain a little.
At home with my family, there are few things I want, but as soon as I walk through a store or flip through a catalog, my "wish list" is suddenly pages long. I am content with what I have until I see all the things I could have--and then I want them. And this bothers me: not just because of the wasted money or because of the accumulation of things that ultimately end up in land fills. It bothers me because of what it does to (or says about?) my heart.

So, this year, I am trying to remember my contentment even when store displays present gorgeous chunky sweaters or glittery Christmas decor. For me, part of this involves identifying wants verses needs and resisting the urge to buy things I don't need.

Really, my goal is to nurture a family that never takes what we have for granted. I want to model gratitude and contentment for my children; I want them to grow up in an environment where the most meaningful things in life are celebrated and pursued--knowing & following Jesus and loving one another. I want us to be a family that simply thinks of things less--to be content to go without when things aren't affordable or necessary, and to be willing to give generously to those who are in need.

Pursuing this doesn't mean we have to give up the beauty, frills, or fun that give life its sparkle. It doesn't mean we have to slash our preferences or desires in the name of a simple life. This is not a martyr's cause. It's just a quest to be mindful of what we have in light of it's cost (financially, spiritually, and environmentally) and in light of other's needs. And it can be fun!

Let me give you an example of one way I've started living this out this Christmas.

I'm a little quirky, so I like all of the Christmas gifts I'm giving to be packaged in matching paper and trimmings. For me, the gifts under the tree serve as one more opportunity to add festive decorations to our home at Christmas!

Earlier in the year (summer, maybe?), I saw an idea for DIY gift bows using produce bags--you know, the red netted bags that onions, potatoes and oranges come in. I started saving those bags whenever I happened to get one. I thought they'd look good with gifts wrapped in kraft paper (instead of printed gift wrap) and I thought about buying some kraft paper, but then thought of something better. I decided to save all my paper bags from grocery purchases and see if I could make those work. I had some raffia on had that I added to some of the gifts for a little variety. And, I have to say, I'm happy with how they turned out!



I didn't end up with enough red bags for all of my gifts, so I reserved them for gifts being given to my husband's side of the family (that way all the gifts we bring to his parent's house on Christmas eve will match). Then I used things I had on hand for the rest of the gifts: a roll of tulle and glittered floral stems that I'd bought at a garage sale.


So I have my gifts beautifully wrapped, laying under the tree, decorating my house this Christmas season!

As our family seeks to grow in this area, I'm eager to hear about others' experiences. What are some ways you and your family keep your focus on loving God and/or loving others?  What are some ways you and your family foster contentment, generosity and frugality in your lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment