Pages

11.16.2011

Finding Fabric on the Cheap


If you’re anything like me, part of the fun of crafting is making something for less than you could buy it in the store. Sometimes, though, with sewing projects, the cost of fabric makes this a challenge. I’ve found a couple good (and some surprising) places to find fabric that won’t cost you a whole lot.

My daughter holding a pillow I made her out of furry fabric I got at a garage sale.



  • Clearance isles (maybe this is obvious, but its still a good place to look!) at your local fabric store. This is an especially good place to look if you don’t need large pieces of fabric, as there may be only a few yards left a particular fabric. Keep an eye out for sales on clearance items. I actually just got some fabric for an upcoming project at 50% off of the clearance price! 

  • Walmart stores that carry fabric usually have a section of fabrics that are priced $1/yard. Depending on what you’re looking for, you may be able to find what you need there.

  • Thrift stores & Garage Sales have become one of my favorite places to find fabrics both because of the price and the variety. I’ve bought sheet sets, table cloths, cloth napkins and window treatments, all for as low as $2 each. This is a great way to incorporate vintage materials, patterns, and color schemes into a project or decor. Here is some of the second-hand fabric that I’ve acquired recently. 



In this collection is a skirt, two dresses, and an window panel. The key to finding good second-hand fabrics is to think outside of the box and simply look for textures and patterns you like!




No comments:

Post a Comment