Pages

10.20.2011

Making a Moby-style baby wrap


I’ve always loved the idea of wearing my baby on me as much as possible. I’ve used a Baby Bjorn carrier and a sling with both our kids, but I have complaints about each one. 
For starters, the Baby Bjorn, being more structured, doesn’t have the snuggly mommy-and-baby-are-one thing going on (and for me, that’s a big draw for wearing my baby!). Plus it seemed like no matter how tight I got it, my little ones would still flop around at least a little. So I couldn’t do things that required a lot of movement without flopping the poor little baby all over. And I don’t know if other mothers have mastered it, but I was never really able to breastfeed with a baby in there.
My sling is much cuter, much more snuggly, but a bit less practical. I can’t wear it for very long before my back starts to feel the strain. Even worse, with a baby baby who still can’t sit up, its definitely not a hands-free carrier. I find that I usually have at least one hand supporting my little guy whenever he’s in there so he doesn’t fall out. That is not very conducive to the multi-tasking I find myself doing all day long. 
After hearing great things about the “Moby Wrap” I decided to look into it. I saw it at Target for $40, looked online to see what it was all about, and decided to try and make one myself to see if it would work for me. 


I was able to use fabric that I already had at home so it cost me nothing but the time I put into it, and I have to say I love the final product! It’s snuggly, completely secure, and doesn’t strain my back at all. It does take a little bit of time to put on and take off, but not any more than the Baby Bjorn does.
It’s basically one long piece of fabric. Six yards long, actually. And you can make one even if you don’t sew! Some versions (and the one I made) have an approx 2' piece of piece of accent fabric in the center. This is nice because it makes it really obvious where to start the wrap when you put it on. If you want this, you’ll need to do some sewing, but it is possible to make without sewing at all if you’re ok with it being a little more rough around the edges.
No-Sew Directions:
You’ll want to purchase 6 yards of a jersey or t-shirt-like fabric that doesn’t fray. If you’re not sure whether a fabric will fray or not, find the cut edge of the fabric and pull on it to try to get it to fray. 
Once you’ve purchased the fabric, leave it folded in half lengthwise (it comes that way). 
Follow these directions to wrap it on yourself. 
If the wrap feels too heavy or bulky, you can take it off (again, leaving it folded lengthwise) and cut it lengthwise along the crease. You’ll have two 6 yard long pieces of fabric--two wraps!
   
Sewing Directions:
You’ll need 6 yards of fabric total. Five and 1/4 yards will be your main fabric and then you’ll need 3/4 of a yard in another fabric for the center panel of the wrap. When you’re picking out fabrics, think of this as your accent fabric.
I chose gray for my center panel and black for the rest of the wrap. 
1. First, cut your large piece of fabric in half so you have two 2 3/4 yard pieces. 





2. Next, pin one end of each of those pieces to each end of your accent fabric (wrong sides together). Sew these together. 
3. Now fold the fabric on itself long ways to make a 6-yard-long rectangle with the wrong side of the fabric facing out. Pin the long edge and one of the short edges. Once you’ve done this it should resemble a really long, skinny pillow case.


4. Turn your “pillow case” inside out.

5. Now fold the two unfinished edges down inside the “pillowcase” and pin them there. Run your sewing machine across here, doing a top stitch to finish it off.  

And... you're done! Time to put it on. I like this YouTube video for a demonstration of how to wear the wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment